Seeking an experienced media and public relations professional to help raise company’s public profile and promote its work through our expanding mediums and channels. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Communications publicizes the company’s news and achievements, people, organizations including our
strategic initiatives to national, regional, and local print and electronic media; in our social media channels; through a monthly e-newsletter; and through promotion
and publicity for activities and events. This is a full-time exempt position and it is based out of our headquarter location in Los Angeles, CA.
- Develops strategy for cultivating and maintaining effective working relationships with writers, editors, and producers in the print and electronic media.
- Determines and organizes media campaigns to align with division and business strategic initiatives. Determines priorities for this outreach and manages
media pushes. Performs daily media monitoring; reports results and posts media placements on the company website.
- Crafts pitches, news releases, backgrounders, biographies, and other materials; compiles facts/statistics, photography and multimedia materials, and press kits as
- Provides consultative services to company personnel on media and publicity strategies, including positioning, writing/editing, and placement of opinion-editorials,
essays, research studies, and other thought leadership.
- Responds to media requests for information and experts. Advises on appropriate company experts/spokespeople for stories.
- Promotes and arranges interviews between company principals and media representatives. Provides pre-interview preparation and coaching to spokespeople
and follows up with media sources to complete and promote resulting stories.
- Promotes company stories for inclusion in our News online and company print vehicles and coordinates media opportunities with the marketing
- Plans and conducts press events and hosts/guides media representatives when attending events, facilitating introductions to company VIPs.
- Strategizes, compiles, edits, and produces monthly company newsletter for its large internal/external audience.
- Writes and posts news stories for the website/blog.
- Writes clear, engaging, accurate, and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences.
- Interprets specialized and/or academic material to produce written communication pieces for the desired audience.
- Researches, verifies accuracy, reads, proofs, edits, and rewrites copy.
Promotion and Publicity
- Promotes company news on all appropriate company social media channels and sets goals for audience outreach and growth.
- Promotes and publicizes company activities such as speaking events, public webinars, and major student-, alumni-, and research center-focused events through
all appropriate channels.
- Contributes perspective/review or hands-on work to special projects as assigned: presentation development, speeches, photography and videography, graphic design,
event emcee duties, etc.
- Travels to support/promote company, as assigned.
- May oversee staff, freelancers, and/or agencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree; 5 years relevant professional experience including a strong background in press and media relations. Cannabis experience desired. Knowledge of and interest in the field of cannabis is a strong plus. Preferred: 7 years relevant professional experience, preferably in a Public Relations, Journalism, or Communications organization or agency, or gained by performing those and related duties within an organization. Cannabis experience desired. Knowledge of and interest in the field of cannabis is a strong plus.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation.
- Extreme attention to detail with strong project management and organizational skills.
- Good interpersonal communication skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills.
- Experience with marketing/communication activities and content.
- Experience with current communication forms such as social media, E-marketing (Constant Contact), and media (Cision, Muckrack) and web monitoring tools (Google
- Experience producing web and social media content and managing postings.
Skills Nice to Have
- Experience with web design and layout (HTML, Drupal), infographics, and other design tools.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud software such as In-Design and Photoshop.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities.
- Be able to stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time, bend, kneel, squat, and twist
- Due to Covid-19, we are doing everything we can to keep our team and
customers safe. This means individual offices or widely spaced workstations. We also provide extra masks, shields, hand sanitizer, and gloves as needed. We are an essential business and we require our team to work in the office.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to
race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.